Edgar Allan Poe Cottage
Friedland & Associates stands as a beacon of legal excellence in the community. The firm prides itself on its unwavering commitment to delivering top-notch legal services, with a particular focus on litigation matters in State and Federal Court. At the heart of their mission lies an earnest desire to serve both the community and their clients with distinction.
The team at Friedland & Associates, including their renowned Bronx personal injury lawyers, champions the principles of the legal system, fiercely advocating for the preservation of individuals’ rights. With profound respect for the jury system, they ardently defend the right of every individual to seek justice in court. Their dedication is underscored by a belief that justice can be achieved through aggressive representation, regardless of an individual’s economic status or societal standing.
Injured in a car crash?
Visit our bronx car accident page
An Overview of the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage
The Edgar Allan Poe Cottage is not just any historical site; it’s a testament to the life of one of America’s most iconic writers. The cottage is situated on Kingsbridge Road and the Grand Concourse in the picturesque Fordham neighborhood of the Bronx, New York, and serves as a reminder of Poe’s final years. Though it now sits in the northern part of Poe Park, the cottage was initially placed a short distance away from its current location.
Edgar Allan Poe, a name synonymous with American Gothic literature, chose this humble abode as his residence during the last stretch of his life. Built-in 1812, the cottage stands as a typical representation of working-class homes that once populated the old village of Fordham. Its modest structure comprising only five rooms, offers a unique insight into Poe’s life and the times he lived in.
Key Amenities Found in the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage
- Poe Cottage Structure: A historic building dating back to 1812, the Poe Cottage is an emblem of the old village of Fordham’s working-class residences. It has a simple architectural layout with five rooms.
- Authentic Period Furnishings: The cottage has been meticulously restored to showcase its original appearance, complete with genuine period furnishings that provide a glimpse into the 19th-century lifestyle.
- Film Presentations: Visitors have the opportunity to watch film presentations that offer a deeper understanding of Poe’s life, his works, and his significance in American literature.
- Guided Tours: To further enrich the visitor’s experience, guided tours are available, offering detailed insights into Poe’s life during his time at the cottage.
What You Will See When You Visit the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage
- Poe’s Writing Space: Experience the ambiance and surroundings where Poe penned some of his iconic works such as “Annabel Lee” and “The Bells.”
- Original Rooms: Explore the kitchen, parlor, bed chamber on the main floor, and the two attic rooms, each preserved to maintain their 19th-century charm.
- Period Furnishings: Witness authentic period furnishings that depict the domestic life of the 1800s, offering a tangible connection to the past.
- Historical Exhibits: Delve into various exhibits that highlight significant moments from Poe’s life, his works, and his lasting impact on literature.
Why Should You Go to the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage?
Visiting the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage is akin to taking a step back in time, immersing oneself in the world of one of America’s literary giants. The cottage provides a tangible connection to Poe’s life, granting visitors the opportunity to experience the environment that influenced some of his most celebrated works. The cottage’s historical significance, combined with the meticulous preservation efforts, make it a must-see for literature and history buffs alike.
Moreover, the cottage serves as a testament to Poe’s enduring legacy. While the world around the cottage has evolved, the site remains a beacon of historical and cultural significance. It offers an exclusive opportunity to appreciate the life and works of a writer who, despite facing personal tragedies, produced works that continue to captivate readers worldwide.
The Frequently Asked Questions About the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage
Where is the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage located?
The cottage is situated at Poe Park Grand Concourse at Kingsbridge Rd, Bronx, NY 10458.
Is there an admission fee to visit the cottage?
Yes, the admission fee is $5 for adults and $3 for children.
When was the cottage built?
The Edgar Allan Poe Cottage was constructed in 1812, serving as a typical representation of the working-class homes in the old village of Fordham.
In the bustling city of New York, the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage stands as a serene reminder of a bygone era and the life of a literary genius. If you’re planning a visit, don’t miss the opportunity to delve deep into the history and culture that the cottage offers. And for those in need of legal assistance, especially in personal injury cases, remember to reach out to Friedland & Associates. Their Bronx personal injury lawyers are ever-ready to fight for justice and your rights. Make sure to visit the Edgar Allan Poe Cottage at Poe Park Grand Concourse at Kingsbridge Rd, Bronx, NY 10458.