Free Case Review

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
Home  »  FAQ »

What should I do if the other driver was uninsured or underinsured

What should I do if the other driver was uninsured or underinsured?

What should I do if the other driver was uninsured or underinsured

The aftermath of any motor vehicle collision is challenging, however, the added complications of dealing with an underinsured or uninsured motorist can leave you wondering what to do next or how to recover compensation for your accident-related losses. In this type of situation, it’s often best to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer to determine what the best course of action is and what options are available.

What Steps Should I Take After An Auto Accident With An Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist?

Uninsured and underinsured drivers can present hurdles when it comes to covering medical expenses, property damage, and other losses resulting from the accident. In Florida, the law requires all drivers to have car insurance, but not everyone follows this mandate. If you find yourself in a collision with an uninsured or underinsured driver, following these steps can help increase your chances of recovering the compensation you’re owed for accident-related expenses.

Contact Law Enforcement

As with any car accident, the first step is to contact law enforcement to report the incident. Even if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, having an official police report can serve as crucial documentation for your case.

Exchange Information

Collect information from the other driver, including their contact details, driver’s license number, and license plate information.

Gather Evidence

Document the accident scene by taking photos of the vehicles’ positions, damages, and any visible injuries. This evidence can support your claim and help establish liability.

Notify Your Insurance Company

Regardless of the other driver’s insurance status, you should report the accident to your own insurance company. Some insurance policies include coverage for accidents involving uninsured or underinsured drivers, and your insurer can guide you through the next steps.

Consult an Attorney

Given the complexities surrounding uninsured and underinsured driver cases, you should speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you understand your rights, explore available insurance coverage options, and provide guidance on pursuing compensation.

Explore Your Options

Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to file a claim under your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, personal injury protection, or even explore legal actions against the at-fault driver.

Contact Us Today

At Friedland & Associates, our car accident lawyers understand the challenges posed by uninsured and underinsured drivers. Our experienced car accident lawyers are here to help you pursue the compensation you deserve. If you’ve been involved in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.

4.8 Rating of 248 Reviews

Testimonials from Satisfied Clients

“I felt like this law firm actually cared and fought for me! I was really impressed on how diligent they were working on my whole case. Thank you Friedland & Associates team, I would also like to say Thank you to Sukie for assisting me”

A. C.

“Friedland and Associates are one of the best law-firms in Broward County. They always are very friendly and understanding. It’s always a pleasure when speaking with them they make everything super easy unlike other law-firms in the area!”


When You've Been Injured

When You’ve Been Injured


Our highly experienced lawyers will contact you for a Free Legal Consultation.